The GR PHOTO FESTIVAL 2023 is a photo contest open to all customers around the world who enjoy taking pictures with their GR series cameras, and is based on our passion for photography as expressed in the phrase, "Take out your camera. Enjoy daily photographs." This contest began in 2022.
This photo contest is different from conventional contests, where entries are ranked in order of excellence, in that professional photographers from around the world will be commissioned to select works from their own perspectives. No prizes or prize money are offered.
The theme is "Daily Life.”
It is in your ordinary day-to-day life that you find precious moments.
Having a camera reminds you of that every day. Try capturing important moments in your "Daily Life" with your GR!
We hope that the GR PHOTO FESTIVAL will provide you with an opportunity to find new ways to enjoy photography and discover new perspectives. We look forward to submissions from all over the world.
- Entry period
- From October 2 (Monday) to December 24 (Sunday) 23:59 (JST), 2023
- Entry requirements
- All GR users worldwide regardless of whether they are professional or amateur can enter the contest.
- Submitted work
- Work submitted to Ricoh Imaging must meet the following conditions.
The work must be an unpublished piece taken with a GR-series camera (this includes film models) from December 2022 to the present.
- * Please submit a digital copy of your work if using a film model.
- * Please refer to “Entry notes” for the definition of “unpublished”.
- “Daily life”
- Number of pieces of work allowed
- Each person can submit up to 3 pieces of work. A separate entry is required for each piece of work. There is a maximum of 3 entries per person. Sets of photos are not eligible for entry.
- * If you applied for 4 or more works, your application will be valid for the first 3 works.
* Alphabetical order by last name
10 judges from around the world will each select 3 Award-Winning Works.
- Feifei ANN Born in Inner Mongolia, China, in 1986, Feifei ANN began her photography life when she was 14, under her father’s guidance. After graduating from university in 2008, she became a journalist for Xinhua News Agency and almost at the same time started her career as a commercial photographer. Four years later in 2012, she founded her own studio. From 2016 on, she has taken part in producing and editing five documentary photography albums, which inspired her interest in humanities documentary photography.
Born in 1947, Ned Bunnell started taking pictures when he volunteered to be the photographer for his prep school paper. He studied the Zone System in 1972 at Minor White’s MIT Media Lab. He was mentored for two years by Charles Harbutt. His knowledge and passion for photography helped his product development and marketing of imaging products (printers, scanners, and cameras) at NEC, AGFA, Polaroid, Canon, and Pentax USA. Since retiring in 2012, he has shot almost exclusively with the GR APS-C models (currently both GRIII and GRIIIx), and he still uses the GXR and A12 Leica mount modules. He’s active on Instagram where he posts all his GR photos, as well as reviews of the various GR accessories and examples of the in-camera effects.
GR Photos. Cuba 2014 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjX3GHYi
Denis Cherim Born in Romania and raised in various cultural hubs such as Istanbul, Madrid, Bucharest, Sofia, London, Kaohsiung, and Berlin, Denis Cherim is a self-taught photographer with a passion for travel and exploration. His curiosity has led him to develop a unique photographic style that has been showcased in several series and artistic residences.
His photography is more than just a visual art; it's a statement about his philosophy and understanding of the world. He has participated in numerous collective exhibitions, including "Talking... & Other Banana Skins" at Urban Nation Museum, Berlin, and "Tinta de Verano" at the Museo de Bellas Artes de Cuenca, Spain. His artistic residences have taken him to places like Urban Nation Museum in Berlin and Pier-2 Art Center in Kaohsiung, Taiwan.
His accolades include an honorable mention in the European Photography Contest "¿Y mañana?" and winning 1st place in the Street Photography International 2020 competition. His ongoing "Coincidence Project" is a testament to his ability to reveal unexpected connections between common objects and landscapes, turning ordinary scenes into extraordinary narratives.
Through his lens, he invites viewers to see the world in a different light, where reality meets imagination, and the mundane becomes magical.
Born in 1991 in Tokyo, Yoshiyuki Okuyama began creating photographic work in 2009, debuting in 2011 on winning the 34th Cosmos of Photography Excellence Award. Since then he has continued to work with a focus on the intersection and contradiction between the opposing elements of the concrete and the abstract.
In 2016, he received the 47th Kodansha Publication Culture Award for Photography for "BACON ICE CREAM" (2015). His photography books include "Girl" (2012), "As the Call, So the Echo" (2017), "POCARI SWEAT" (2018), "Los Angeles / San Francisco" (2018), "The Good Side" (2020), "flowers" (2021), "Taiwan edition: BACON ICE CREAM" (2021), "BEST BEFORE" (2022), and "windows" (2023). Notable solo exhibitions include "Girl" at Raum1F (Tokyo, 2012), "BACON ICE CREAM" at Parco Museum (Tokyo, 2016), "THE NEW STORY" at POST (Tokyo, 2016), "As the Call, So the Echo" at Gallery916 (Tokyo, 2017), "The Town You Live In" at Omotesando Hills Space O (Tokyo, 2017), "White Light" at Canon Gallery S (Tokyo, 2019), "windows" at amanaTIGP (Tokyo, 2023), and others.
Born in 1977, Sarah Simon is an American Artist born in Queens, New York. She previously worked as a Scuba Instructor and an Attorney. Her journey as a photographer began as existential therapy and rebellion to reclaim her point of view, and it has evolved into a passion for creating soulful and experimental street photography.
She has been shooting street photography exclusively with the GR III and GR IIIx for the last three years, mostly in and around New York City. She is a co-curator of the @Ricoh_GR_Women Instagram gallery which aims to celebrate the photography of women GR photographers, and a member of the Street Badass Collective. She is represented by the MF Gallery.
- Orietta Gelardin Spinola Orietta’s curiosity, attraction to cities, the people, and the many different stories that take place on the streets have made street photography a very fun, challenging, and quite an obsessive part of her life. There is a magical feeling that makes it even more exciting and mysterious: there are times when one turns randomly around, right at the very second something interesting is going on behind us. Catching details is the ability to see beyond the surface, and it is then where one can get a whole narrative based on the glimpse of the eye. Besides this, she has also found it a way to escape from her daily issues and, being an insecure, impulsive, and extrovert person, her street wandering might help her calm down or — on the contrary — make her heart pound in an adrenaline burst. Either way, she finds it all extremely fascinating.
A commercial photographer, and also a teacher in universities based in Bangkok, Thailand.
When he is free from work, he loves to spend time traveling around and is fascinated to capture a moment of creative, colorful graphics in daily life.
The compact camera is his favorite and he carries it in his hand every day because the camera is small, compact, powerful, and reliable. He always carries both GR III and GR IIIx all the time to use them to capture a moment in life.
GR III is for wide-angle to tell the story and atmosphere of the moment, while GR IIIx is for capturing details and emphasizing the beauty of things.
He never walked out to the world without Ricoh GR.
His real name is Afzan Abdullah and his photography industry name is Chot Touch. He is a street photographer based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Started street photography in 2008.
"Everyday life can be the most interesting thing to see. The truth and drama that surrounds us whether we realize it or not. The theatre of life as I see it at that moment with my eyes THROUGH my lens. Moments that are gone, but immortalized and embedded in your memory forever."
His previous experience was a photo critic guest photographer at Camera World Magazine, Ricoh camera ambassador (2012-2013), and a judge of several photography competitions in Malaysia. He has also held workshops before in India, Brunei, Singapore, and Malaysia.
Co-founded Street Photography Malaysia (FJM) which was established to promote the best work in the genre, and to give a platform to talented but underrepresented photographers. Today the FJM Facebook account in the Group is the largest dedicated street photography resource in Malaysia with over 25,000 followers.
Photographer/Professor of Department of Graphic Design, Tama Art University. Born in 1957 in Hyogo Prefecture. Among his many awards are the Photographic Society of Japan Lifetime Achievement Award, the Tokyo Art Directors Club Grand Prize, and the New York Art Directors Club Photography Award. He ran Gallery916 from 2011 to 2018.
His most noted series/monographs include "Quinault" (1993), "AMAGATSU" (1995), "at Home" (2006), "Materia" (2012), "A Life with Camera" (2015), "FOREST Impressions and Memories 1989-2017" (2018), "68TH STREET" (2018), "Apple Tree" (2017), "PORTRAIT" (2022) and "Māter" (2022). His latest book, "Dream Always" (2023), is a collection of photographs taken by Ueda of the Suntory Oolong Tea series and scenes of China he snapped during his travels. In conjunction with the publication of this book, a photography exhibition entitled "Dream Always" was simultaneously held at gallery ON THE HILL and Tomio Koyama Gallery.
His film "Garden of Camellias" was released in 2021 to great acclaim and won the Cinematography Award at the Japan Movie Critics Awards, the Grand Prix at the KINOTAYO Contemporary Japanese Film Festival in Paris, and the Jury Prize at the Toronto Japanese Film Festival. His work as a film director has also attracted attention.
Qianli Zhang is a travel photographer, filmmaker, and book writer. He is shooting for Getty Images, National Geographic Traveler, Ricoh, Sony, and Hasselblad, and is the ambassador of Gitzo. He is based in Shanghai and Toronto.
He made a program named "Beyond the Photo,” which is the most popular photography-related video in the Chinese language. He has 3 million followers.
He published two best-seller books so far:
"The Guide for Travel Photographer"
"The Guide for Travel Photographer II"
And his 3rd book will be published soon.
In 2005, National Geographic Magazine honored him with the first prize in the Yearly Travel Photography Contest and invited him to visit the headquarters located in Washington DC, USA.
- How to enter the contest
- Ricoh Imaging will only accept online entries.
- • Open the entry page from the link at the end of this page. Enter the necessary information and then submit one piece of work per entry.
- Submitted work data
- • A JPEG file with sRGB color space (default), 2MB to 15MB in size, and Exif information available can be submitted.
- • If no Exif information is available, Ricoh Imaging may ask you to send the original JPEG data or RAW data for verification. Be sure to always keep the original data when shooting.
- • Send scanned data from the original film or print. How you scanned the film does not matter. It can be from a scanner you used at home or a service provided by a camera and photography shop.
- • A JPEG file with sRGB color space and 2MB to 15MB in size can be submitted.
- Entry notes
- • Submitted work must be unpublished work (work posted on personal websites, SNS, and online albums are considered to be unpublished) that has not been published in another contest or in print and is not scheduled to be published.
- • Minors should obtain consent from their parent or guardian before entering the contest. Select the “I have received consent from my parent/guardian” check box. (Ricoh Imaging may ask you to submit a letter of consent at a later date.)
- • When submitting work that shows identifiable individuals, you must obtain their consent (or the parent/guardian if the subject of the photo is a minor). It is assumed that you have obtained the consent of the subject of the photo (or the parent/guardian if the subject is a minor) at the time of entry.
- • Winning work will be printed for viewing at an exhibition. When shooting with a digital camera, it is recommended to set the recording size to the maximum number of pixels for the camera being used and to shoot at the highest quality. Ricoh Imaging may also ask you to submit image data with a higher resolution after winning the contest.
- • RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD (hereafter, “the organizer”) and its related companies accept no responsibility for any infringement of rights (all rights related to copyrights, trademark rights, portrait rights, etc.) or other problems that arise with third parties in relation to the submitted work. The applicant shall handle and resolve any such problems through their own actions and at their own expense.
- • Copyright of the winning work belongs to the photographer. Winning work may be used on the Ricoh Imaging website, over SNS and in leaflets, etc., to announce future photo contests and such. The photographer’s name will be displayed when the work is used for these activities. (The work will not be made available for use by third parties.) Ricoh Imaging may perform a minimum amount of image adjustment required to produce a print of the work to showcase it at a winners exhibition.
- * It is assumed that the applicant has consented to all the conditions listed under “Entry notes” (hereafter, “the entry notes”) at the time of entry.
- * If it is discovered that the submitted work violates the entry notes, or if the organizer has decided that the law and rules have been violated, the organizer shall cancel the entry and award.
- Notification and announcement of winners
- • Ricoh Imaging will notify the winners directly in Mid-February 2024.
- • The winners will be officially announced on the Ricoh Imaging website (from late February 2024).
- • Ricoh Imaging will not notify applicants if they are not among the winners. Ricoh Imaging is unable to reply to any inquiries about the judge’s results.
- • All Award-Winning works will be exhibited at the GR Photo Festival Exhibition scheduled to be held after early March 2024.
- After winning the contest
- • Ricoh Imaging may ask you to submit image data with a higher resolution to showcase the work at a winners exhibition.
- * Image data will be produced from the scanned data submitted at the time of entry for work shot with a film model. Ricoh Imaging will not accept the original film.
- • Failure to submit image data by the deadline specified in the winners notification will result in the award being canceled.
- For inquiries
- GR PHOTO FESTIVAL Management office
* Please note that it may take a few days to reply.
- Handling of the applicant’s personal information
GR PHOTO FESTIVAL official rule
Official Rules for GR PHOTO FESTIVAL
Last modified: October 2, 2023
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW.
These "Official Rules" ("Official Rules”), entry guideline, entry form and any other information or notices to the entrants shall form part of the terms and conditions of the GR PHOTO FESTIVAL (“Contest”).
In these Official Rules, the term "you" refer to any person who enters, or who wishes to enter, the Contest.
- 1. Eligibility
- Open to all who may access to the Internet and who is 18 years of age or older at the time of entry. Entrants under 18 years of age require permission of a parent or guardian. By entering the Contest, entrants under 18 years of age indicate that they have obtained the permission of a parent or guardian. Provided that those who are members of anti-social forces or have relationships with anti-social forces (in these terms, "anti-social forces" refers to organized crime groups, members of organized crime groups, affiliates or affiliates of organized crime groups, or individuals or organizations otherwise involved in or involved in organized crime) are not eligible to apply.
- 2. Sponsor
- The Contest is sponsored by RICOH Imaging Company Ltd., 1-3-6, Nakamagome, Ohta-ku Tokyo, 143-8555, Japan ("Sponsor").
The Contest is not open to officers and employees of the Sponsor or its affiliates.
- 3. Agreement to Official Rules
- By entering, you indicate your full and unconditional agreement to (a) these Official Rules and (b) Sponsor's decisions, which are final and binding. Winning prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirement set forth herein.
- 4. Contest Period
- The Contest begins at 10:00 on Monday, October 2, 2023 and ends at 23:59 on Sunday, December 24, 2023 (JST). Sponsor’s computer is the official time-keeping device for the contest.
- 5. How to Enter
- You must post your original photo taken using RICOH GR series, not video. In order to enter the Contest, you must upload from dedicated page linked to the “Submit” button on this site
Your post will be referred as your Entry ("Entry"). Entries must be posted or reposted from the contest page (https://ricohimagingstore.com/grphotofestival_2023_en) during entry period. Please see the Submission Requirements as defined below ("Submission Requirements").
Entrants must have permission from all individuals that appear in the Entry (if any) to use their name and likeness in the Submission and to grant the rights set forth herein.
Entries will not be acknowledged if you attempt to obtain Entry using different email addresses, identities, registrations or logins, or through other methods, Sponsor may exclude you from participating in the Contest. When you enter, you are providing information to Sponsor. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, stolen, damaged, incomplete, invalid, un-intelligible, garbled, delayed or misdirected Entries; all of which will be void. By entering on the Contest, you agree that your Entry conforms to the Submission Requirements and that Sponsor, in its sole discretion , may disqualify you from the Contest if it believes that your Entry fails to conform to the Submission Requirements.
- 6. Important Note
- Standard text messaging, data and/or other rates apply to participants who submit an Entry via wireless mobile device. Wireless service providers may charge for airtime and/or data in relation to each standard text message sent and received. Please contact your service provider for pricing and service plan information and rates before mobile device participation.
- 7. Submission Requirements
- BY SUBMITTING AN ENTRY, YOU AGREE THAT THE ENTRY (AND EACH INDIVIDUAL COMPONENT THEREOF, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION THE PHOTO) COMPLIES WITH ALL CONDITIONS STATED IN THESE OFFICIAL RULES. SPONSOR WILL BEAR NO LIABILITY WHATSOEVER REGARDING THE USE OF YOUR ENTRY OR ANY COMPONENT THEREOF, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION. THE PHOTO IF INCLUDED, SPONSOR SHALL BE HELD HARMLESS BY YOU IN THE EVENT IT IS SUBSEQUENTLY DISCOVERED THAT YOU HAVE DEPARTED FROM OR NOT FULLY COMPLIED WITH ANY OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES.
You can post three times, but please post one photo per one Entry. Multiple photos in an Entry will be disqualified.
By participating in the Contest, each entrant hereby warrants and represents that:
- any Entry he/she submits is original to him/her;
- any Entry he/she submits does not violate any law, statue, ordinance or regulation;
- entrant saves original data and would provide it upon Sponsors request;
- any Entry he/she submits will not give rise to any claims whatsoever, including, without limitation, claims of infringement, invasion of privacy or publicity, or infringe on any rights and/or interest of any third party; and
- any Entry he/she submits is not defamatory, trade libelous, pornographic or obscene, and further that it will not contain, depict, include, discuss or involve, without limitation, any of the following: nudity; alcohol/drug consumption or smoking; explicit or graphic sexual activity, or sexual innuendo; crude, vulgar or offensive language and/or symbols; derogatory characterization of any ethnic, racial sexual, religions or other groups (including, without limitation, any competitors of Sponsor); conduct or other activities in violation of these Official Rules; and/or any other comment that is or could be considered inappropriate, unsuitable or offensive, all as determined by the Sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion.
The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, at any time and for any reason to screen any Entry(s). Any Entry that the Sponsor deems, in its sole and absolute discretion, to violate the terms and conditions set forth in these Official Rules is subject to disqualification. The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion at any time and for any reason, to request an entrant to modify, edit and/or re-submit his or her Entry in order to ensure that the Entry complies with these Official Rules, or of any other reason. If such an action is necessary at any point during or after the Contest, then the Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to take whatever action it deems necessary based on the circumstances - including, without limitation, disqualifying the Entry (and therefore the corresponding Entry and/or the associated entrant).
- 8. Judging
- Winners will be decided after the Contest period ends, by the Judges described in this site. Contest results are scheduled to be announced on the contest page (https://www.ricoh-imaging.com/en/grphotofestival/2023/) on or after Mid-February 2023.
- 9. Sponsor’s Rights to Entries
- By entering the Contest and submitting an Entry, each entrant: (i) grants to the Sponsor and its affiliates, irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide, in perpetuity, a non-exclusive license to publish, display, reproduce, modify, edit or otherwise use his/her Entry(and each component thereof), in whole or in part, for advertising or promoting the Contest or for any other reason in our web-site, SNS and other media; (ii)waives all moral rights in and to his/her Entry (and each component thereof) in favor of the Sponsor; and (iii) agrees to release and hold harmless the Sponsor from and against any and all claims, damages, liabilities, costs, ad expenses arising from us of his/her Entry (or any component thereof), including, without limitation, any claim gazed on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy, copyright infringement, trademark infringement or any other intellectual property related or other caused of action whatsoever. For greater certainty and the avoidance of any doubt, the Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion and at any time, to disqualify any Entry (or any component thereof) if a complaint is received with respect to the Entry, or for any other reason. If such an action is necessary at any point during or after the Contest, then Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to take whatever action it deems necessary based on the circumstances, including, without limitation, disqualifying the Entry and/or the associated entrant.
- 10. Notification and Requirements of Potential Winners
- Potential winners will be notified by direct message to email address described in the entry form and will be asked to respond to provide their full name, address(including country code) and telephone number. If the response is not returned within the specified time period, the notification is returned as undeliverable. Sponsor is unable to contact the potential winner(s), or the potential winner(s) is not in compliance with these Official Rules, winning notification will be forfeited, and, at Sponsor's discretion, an alternate potential winner(s) may be selected from among all remaining eligible entries received as soon as reasonably possible. Results will be published on the Sponsor's official website and RICOH Group social media channels.
- 11. General Conditions
- In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Contest is impaired in any way, including, but not limited to fraud, virus, or other technical problems, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, either; (a) suspend the Contest to address the impairment and then resume the Contest in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules: or (b)winning award at random from among the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the operation of the Contest, violates these Official Rules, or acts in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil lay, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Failure by Sponsor to enforce any terms of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Proof of sending any communication to Sponsor by mail shall not be deemed proof of receipt of that communication by Sponsor. In the event of a dispute as to the owner of an entry, the authorized account holder of the email address used to enter will be deemed to be the entrant. The "authorized account holder" is the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address. The Contest is subject to federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.
- 12. Release and Limitations of Liability
- By participating in the Contest, you agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor, their parent company, subsidiaries, affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees, agents (the "Released Parties") from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Contest and wining award, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the Contest (b) terminal errors related to computers’, servers, providers, or telephone, or networks lines; (c) printing errors; (d) lost, late, postage-due, misdirected, or undeliverable mail; (e) errors in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries; or (f) injury of damage to person or property which may be caused directly or indirectly, in whole or in part from entrant's participation in the Contest and winning award. You further agree that in any cause of action, the Released Parties’ liability will be limited to the cost of entering and participating in the Contest and winning award, and in no event shall the Released Parties be liable for attorney's fees. You waive the right to claim any damage whatsoever, including but not limited to, punitive, consequential, compensatory, direct, or indirect damages.
- 13. Privacy and Publicity
- Any information collected from the Contest shall be used only in a manner consistent with the consent given by the entrants at the time of entry, with these Official Rules, and with Sponsor's Privacy Notice for the Contest found at (https://www.ricoh-imaging.com/en/grphotofestival/2023/privacypolicy.html). Each entrant expressly agrees to the use of his/her personal information for such purpose. The following information will be collected from each entrant for the purpose of administering the Contest and may also be used by Sponsor and their affiliates to contact the potential winners: entrant name, age, address and email address. The Sponsor will not sell, share or otherwise disclose information collected in any manner with third parties, other than those parties necessary to fulfill the above purpose, unless entrant has given his prior express consent to receive additional information from the Sponsor or a third party. Entrants have a right to access to modification and withdrawal of their personal data. The Sponsor will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that entrants’ personal information is treated securely and in accordance with Sponsor's Privacy for the Contest and these Official Rules.
- 14. Governing Law and Jurisdiction
- You agree that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Contest shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the Tokyo District Court as the court of first instance having exclusive jurisdiction. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, your rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of Japan, including its choice of laws provision.
- 15. Controlling Text
- The governing language of these Official Rules are English. Only the original English language version of these Official Rules have the effect of the rules, and any translation of these Official Rules have no contractual or any other effect.
* Recommended browser: Google Chrome